My list is smaller this month but that’s because I got a hold of the Millenium Series and each of these books is close to or over 600 pages. I definitely lost a lot of sleep behind Lisbath Salander.
- The Convenient Store Woman by Sayaki Murata. Very short easy to read tale. I enjoyed being exposed to a different culture that I am not familiar with but if it hadn’t been so short, I probably would not have finished it. (Modern Mrs. Darcy Summer Pick #7) MMD Category: a book in translation
- Heart Talk: Poetic Wisdom for a Better Life by Cleo Wade. MMD Category: A book recommended by a librarian or indie bookseller. Since I was looking to fulfill this category I asked for a recommendation at Parnassus Books in Nashville. Grace, who is no longer there recommended this one. I will be picking this one up again and again. It would make an awesome grad’s gift.
- Off the Clock: Feel Less Busy While Getting More Done by Laura Vanderkam. I love everything Vanderkam does and this one was no exception. Picked up a lot of great ideas for feeling less busy while getting more done.:) No MMD Category; just the sheer joy of reading.
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson. This one was recommended by my friend, Joy (who has written a guest post for this blog) a long time ago. I started it, read 30 pages and abandoned it as not for me. I should have read 60 pages because after that I couldn’t put it down. So very good. MMD Category: A book over 500 pages long. This one clocked in close to 600.
- The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson. Once I got started on this series, I couldn’t stop. My MMD Summer picks has officially taken a back seat to this series until I can finish it. No MMD Category; just the sheer joy of reading. And it was sheer joy.
- I’m still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness by Austin Channing Brown. I struggle to express my feelings on this one. Not sure I’m ready to be that vulnerable in this space. Bottom line? I’m glad I read it.
- The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine. I read this one for my Rocket City Mom Virtual Book Club (full review here). It was a great guilty pleasure pick. Couldn’t put it down literally. I read it in one sitting. And even more amazing considering that Liv Constantine is actually the pen name of two sisters who wrote the book together. No MMD Category.
- The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest (Millennium #3) by Stieg Larsson. By the time this posts, I will have probably finished this one and moved on to Millennium #4.
- When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times by Pema Chödrön. Yep, still reading this one. MMD Category: A book by an author of a different race, ethnicity, or religion than your own but The Widows of Malabar Hill did that.
Abandoned Reading – Temporarily
- Art of the Memoir by Mary Karr. As I said last month, not quite ready for this one. I own it so I will pick it up in due course.
I only have three categories left in the 2018 Modern Mrs. Darcy’s (MMD) Reading Challenge: (1) a classic you’ve been meaning to read, (2) a book nominated for an award, and (3) A banned book. I need some help with selecting three good ones. Any suggestions?
What have you been reading this month?