This pandemic has taught me a lot of things. Specifically regarding my reading life, I have learned that I am very much a mood reader. I have continued the trend from last month of starting and stopping so many books I have been excited about and then feeling blah about them as time progressed. Coincidentally, some books I have picked up on a whim, have been very pleasant reads. I did slightly better than last month and completed three books.
- Everything is Figureoutable by Marie Forleo. This is a self-help, get your rear-in-gear kind of book about accomplishing your goals and dreams. Marie believes that “everything is able to be figured out” – hence the name – and she doesn’t tolerate excuses. I was surprised that I enjoyed this book with everything that was going on. Perhaps it served as a not-so-gentle reminder that it could be worse and we all still have work to do. I was exhausted afterward however, and retreated into something a bit fun and easy.
- Waiting for Tom Hanks by Kerry Winfrey. This was the fun and easy and I read it in three of my reading-before-bed periods. Fun. Easy. Just what I wanted and needed in April.
- Beach Read by Emily Henry. I gifted myself a subscription to Book of the Month last year and this was my April pick. I was thrilled to receive this one early. It’s the story of two authors: one writes romance and one writes literary fiction. The romance writer no longer believes in love and the literary fiction writer is stuck in a rut. One thing leads to another and they strike a deal to each write a book in the other’s genre. It’s a book about writers, books, love, and living and it was deeper than I ever expected it to be. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was also thrilled to discover that it was one of the picks in the Modern Mrs. Darcy Summer Reading Guide. One book completed!
- Midnight at the Blackbird Café by Heather Webber. This is this month’s pick for the Rocket City Mom Virtual Book Club. It’s a reread for me so, yes, I like it very much. And I am thrilled to host Heather Webber Thursday, May 28, 2020 on the Facebook site.
- Untamed by Glennon Doyle. I am LOVING this book!
- Lovely War by Julie Berry. This is the Modern Mrs. Darcy Book Club pick for May. Greek mythological beings in a World War I setting, call me intrigued. I haven’t gotten very far in this one yet. Too distracted.
Just in Case You Were Wondering
Book of the Month is a subscription service where they pick up five of the new best reads, with emphasis on debut authors, early releases, and fresh perspectives, and you get to select one for $14.99. It’s considerable less than what you would pay for the hardcover, and sometimes the paperback. And I love getting early access to books I want to read. Beach Read released on May 19th but I was delighted to have finished on April 29th. If you’re interested in Book of the Month, check it out here. You could help me earn a free book. LOL
The Modern Mrs. Darcy’s Summer Reading Guide is the quintessential guide to a fun summer reading experienced. Released yesterday, it is the highlight of my reading year. I can’t wait to dive into my selections. You can get your own copy here. She also does a Quick Lit post every month discussing what she is currently reading, which I am linking this post to. Need more ideas, check her out and if you’re here because of her, I can’t thank her, and you, enough.
How’s your reading life going?